Thursday, April 14, 2011

Traditional Families = Better Economy

Okay, so I don't normally blog about things I learned on a documentary, but I want to share the one I watched today, and this blog is kind of like my journal too, so if you don't read it... I'm okay with it, but I hope you do. It was inspiring. Now I majored in this subject and knew a lot of the things that they mentioned but a lot of things I didn't know or realize, one in which I want to share.

So one of the main things this documentary talked about was how traditional families need to be reestablished to better help our economy and the welfare of our nation and our world. The coolest part is that this documentary was held with multiple professors and researchers across the nation and world, of different beliefs and faith. In fact a lot don't even have a religion or believe in god. But they all agreed on one thing that research is showing more and more, that traditional families are very important to the world and that with them diminishing we are headed for harder times. Less and less people are getting married, even more people aren't having children, and a significant percent who do both of these things (get married and have children) are divorcing.

How they said diminishing of traditional families is effecting the economy, and will greatly effect the economy, is because when a child is not raised by both a father and a mother, and the stability and interaction that that entails, they are far more likely to not develop as well cognitively and mentally. So thus they struggle through school and learning and life, which ultimately leads to less and less people who are capable of running our country at the level that it needs to be ran. We then have less competent leaders, engineers, doctors, teachers, professors, etc., the main people who run and work this country, which isn't good for us. They then showed stats...

Children the least likely to do drugs: have parents who are married/come from traditional family

Children most likely to go to college: parents married/traditional family

Children most likely to have good physical and mental health: parents married/traditional family

Children most likely to have good relationships with their peers: parents married/traditional family.

Etc. (there were a ton more, I just dont remember all of them)

Now I have to say a disclaimer, because I know that not every person that comes from a broken family has these struggles. There are many who come from hard working single moms or dads and have become amazing and awesome people. My mom is one of quite a few people I know, who came from a broken home, yet turned out great and has done great things for the world. They are talking about majority here.

Another thing they mentioned: that people who are not being raised in families, or who aren't creating or wanting to create families are creating individualism, which isn't good. They talked about how families create an environment that promote selflessness, putting others before yourself. Without this family environment people are becoming more selfish and more focused on the self, which is destroying the "group effort/team work" community and nation that we know (or knew) and love.

Basically their message was that if we keep seeing the family diminish... then our prosperous world in which we know it, will basically diminish as well.

I just thought that this was cool to learn, because not only do we know through the gospel and through our prophets and apostles that families are important, but through researchers and data as well. That having as many children as possible come from solid families is a necessity for a prosperous life for all of us. Not saying we all need to have a ton of kids (cause that's very personal), but that getting married and having children, whatever amount you have, in a stable home is more important to our country, and to ourselves, than I realized. I just really think it's neat to learn both spiritually (most important) but logically as well. "I will tell you in your mind and in your heart," that families are important.

Thanks to anyone who reads this, I hope you found it interesting as well.

3 comments:

Cat said...

interesting. Just wanted to let you know I read it :) and congrats on the pregnancy!

Leslie said...

Very Interesting! I attended a conference on Substance abuse and addictions. The main speaker was a lady who is out of DC. She works for the Obama administration. She said all their studies show that money sunk into programs helps some but the most affective way to prevent drug and alcohol abuse is with a traditional stable family.

Kenny and Amber said...

Thanks for sharing that, Sarah. I agree, too bad more people don't. Yet another confirmation that the church is true, and God is in charge!